So, here we go with the nitty gritty details (I still can’t believe I am sharing these facts on the internet for all to see)… First, I am down a total of 5 lbs. for the month. Here’s a summary of my measurements:
June 11, 2014 July 1, 2014 Net difference
Weight: 217 lbs. 212 lbs. -5 lbs.
Upper arm 15″ 15″ none
Abs (at fullest point) 45.5″ 42″ – 3.5″
Waist 44″ 43″ -1″
Hips 50.5″ 49″ -1.5″
Thigh 27.5″ 27″ -0.5″
And here is my official picture for July 1, 2014:
Things that appear to be working for me:
1. As you may have read on my FB page, I have been eating more good protein, healthy fats and more veggies. I have found that I feel better when I limit my carbs and sugars. (I have also learned a lot about insulin and hormone-sensitive lipase, but I will share that in more detail later in a whole separate post.)
2. I have been walking and exercising more. Thanks to the MapMyWalk app on my phone, I have been logging all of my walking and exercising. Since June 14th I have logged 21.25 miles walked (11 walks) and 2 hrs, 41 minutes of exercising (10 workouts). Funny, I really do feel better since exercising more. I never would have thought that.
3. My sugar cravings are down. It has been 5 weeks since I’ve had any pop/soda! That is amazing for me!! This has been a continual struggle for me; I was always craving sugar and pop. I had a hard time making it through lunch time and the afternoon without a glass of pop (or two). I have tried a variety of things in the past without success. This time I did one thing differently: each day I drink 1 ounce of Young Living’s Ningxia Red and take 2 drops of Ocotea essential oil. The Ningxia Red is made from wolfberry puree from China’s Ningxia province as well as other super fruits and is good for a variety of health issues. (If you want to know more, click here. ) As far as the ocotea essential oil, it comes from a tree in Ecuador and is beneficial in maintaining blood sugar levels. (You can read more about it here, if you are interested.) Can I prove beyond a reasonable doubt that these two things are what has cured my sugar addiction? No, I most certainly cannot; but this is the only thing I have done differently regarding sugar and it seems to be working… and I am going to keep doing it!!
But, all isn’t rosy, there are still some things I struggle with:
1. I have a hard time getting enough water. I have tried a variety of things but I am still falling short of 107 oz. per day (that is half my body weight in ounces). I know that I need more water, I am just having a hard time with it. I’ll keep trying though!!
2. The other day we had a family afternoon at the beach and on the way home we stopped for an ice cream cone. I had a luscious scoop of double chocolate almond (yum!), however, since then I am craving that ice cream; not all sweets, just this particular ice cream (there are other kinds in the freezer for the kids and I have no temptation for any of those – go figure!).
3. I need to work on finding local, affordable sources for grass-fed/pastured meat. I know that grocery-store meat is full of lots of hormones and other yuck that is not good for us, so I need to get better quality meat… that actually fits my budget. I also need to commit to shopping more at the local farmers’ markets, especially for produce that is grown organically and not sprayed with chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
4. I’m having a hard time getting to sleep at night. I wonder if my nightly walk is too late in the day and my body is having a hard time settling in. I need to do some research on this.
Well, that’s my update!! I am making progress and that feels great!! Thanks again for all the wonderful encouragement; it means the world to me!!!
Stay healthy my friends…