Fitness & Nutrition
One thing that I have found on my journey to get healthier is that our bodies require proper nutrition and regular movement (exercise) to function properly!! I realize that probably sounds like a big, “DUH!” however I have encounted many people who believe they can somehow get healthy by consuming processed food, fast food and/or supplements that are full of artificial ingredients. I tried to avoid this reality for a long time but the more I learned about the effects these things have on our health I knew that I had to make changes to the food we eat as a family. I will *never* try to pretend to be a nutrition or fitness expert. I will only share with you what I have learned and let you make your own best decisions for your family.
Here I will share with you some of the resources that have been significant for me in my journey to better health and wellness
Websites I follow:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com (Great paleo resources)
http://www.cerealkillersmovie.com/ This is an amazing movie that debunks some of the lies we are being “fed” about health and nutrition
Products that I use:
These are things that I use and love that are helping me along my journey (these are not paid endorsements or affiliate links, just my opinions):
- I am drinking my water out of a fun glass jar and a glass straw. I found some great Michigan-made glass straws at www.Strawesome.com because I don’t like the feel of stainless steel on my mouth (weird, I know). I use a variety of jars with holes drilled in the lid for my straw to fit in. I find that I drink more water when I use a straw.
- I like to walk for my exercise. A great tool for me has been the http://www.mapmywalk.com/ app on my smartphone. I can see how far I walked, what how fast (or slow) I am walking as well as a running total of how far I have walked for the week, month, year. I can also track other workouts that I do such a bike rides, gym workouts, etc. You can friend me; my username is ADStrait.
- When I started my journey in 2014 I would track my daily food intake with http://www.myfitnesspal.com/. This works on desktop/laptops but there are also apps for tablets and smartphones. I also like that it can be linked to MapMyWalk so you see you consumed calories and burned calories. I actually don’t really track calories, but I do like to keep an eye on my daily carbs and sugar intake. You can friend me; my username is ADStrait.
- We have eliminated chemical cleaners from our home!! The toxins in chemical cleaners are the cause of so many health problems. Instead, we use Norwex Microfiber Cloths and Thieves Cleaner. I am so glad that we were able to eliminate yucky, chemical cleaners.
- I have eliminated many toxic personal care items. I no longer use shampoo instead I use either just baking soda and water OR Young Living’s Lavender Mint Shampoo and Conditioner. I use a homemade, natural facial moisturizer (coconut oil combined with some essential oils) and Young Living’s deodorant. I use a castile soap blend for body wash and hand soap rather than the commercial soaps that are so full of nasty chemicals!! bleh! I have also switched from regular toothpaste to Earthpaste (it is a clay-based toothpaste and completely safe!) as well as Young Living’s Thieves AromaBright Toothpaste (this has a more traditional toothpaste type texture). I am still trying to get my family switched over to some of these things as well, but some of them are having a hard time accepting the natural products (they won’t have much choice when I just stop buying some of those things – LOL!).
- I have also replaced all of our plastic food storage dishes with mason/canning jars. I like knowing that there will be no chemicals leaching into our food from the plastic in those dishes. The jars aren’t expensive ($9/dozen here or usually $.25 each at a thrift store) and are very sturdy.
I would love for you to comment below with other things you have done to get healthier and/or ditch commercial products.